[Thinlinc-technical] How to change default window manager

Juan P. Rodriguez jpre3 at ono.com
Tue Oct 25 00:29:10 CEST 2016

Hello everyone

I'm running a 4.6.0 Thinlinc server on a Debian 7.10 machine, with KDM
as display manager and KDE4 as desktop manager. I have two clients:

- one is a virtual host powered by virtualbox, usually booting with
TS-Multiclient-Desktop-LiveCD-Demo.iso liveCD.

- the other one is a raspberry pi 3 with raspbian and the raspberry pi
client installed.

Both of them connect well with the server and open remote desktops for
any user, but thinlinc client ever displays xfce4 as window manager. But
the real window manager used when users open session directly to the own
server is kde, not xfce4. XFCE4 is installed too and not used now. So,
most of the kde desktop features don't run, like desktop icons, links to
disks, etc.

I can open a remote session from the clients with the old command "X
-query serverIP", or via vnc, or directly via KDM, getting the right kde
desktop, but it's impossible to get a kde desktop using the thinlinc
client, only a xfce4 desktop. I can load a kde desktop "over" the xfce4
desktop, starting it with a console, but the overload is really innecesary.

I reconfigured the debian x-window-manager in the server, with no
effects (using the "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" command).

Setting the .xsession file in the user home directory has no effects too
(using the ". /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/kde4" command).

I was looking for an script in /opt/thinlinc that could set the display
manager to xfce4, but I didn't find any.

Searching in xdg config directories, I changed xfwm4 to kwin, with no
effects too.

Using the thinlinc web admin, I put kde like default profile, with no
effects too. Really, I don't see any way to select a profile when I
start a session, despite of the message that the welcome window shows.

All /var/log files relative to the thinlinc and vsm are normal, no error
messages.

Finally, I installed Debian 7.9 in the virtual machine, and the
thinlinc-client_4.6.0-5144_i386.deb, getting the same failure.

Do you have any idea to fix the user window manager to kde, please ?
Someone could tell me if it is a problem of my thinlinc client or a
problem with my server users configuration?

Thank you in advance!

Juan

PS: I'm so sorry, but I sent this message two times, one of them with a
non-registered email.