[Thinlinc-technical] How to change default window manager

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Fri Oct 28 14:40:42 CEST 2016

On 25/10/16 00:29, Juan P. Rodriguez wrote:

> I reconfigured the debian x-window-manager in the server, with no
> effects (using the "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager"
> command).

ThinLinc doesn't use the display manager of the system, so changes it to
it will not affect ThinLinc.

> Setting the .xsession file in the user home directory has no effects too
> (using the ". /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/kde4" command).

We don't use .xession either. :)
There is a ~/.thinlinc/xstartup which is roughly equivalent. However it
can be difficult to get right as it overrides a lot of default behaviour
you probably want. So I would suggest figuring out why the default
behaviour isn't working.

> I was looking for an script in /opt/thinlinc that could set the display
> manager to xfce4, but I didn't find any.

ThinLinc has the concept of profiles, which is roughly equivalent to the
session types you have locally on the system. The profile is selected by
tl-select-profile in xstartup.d/, and executed via tl-run-profile from
xstartup.default.

> Using the thinlinc web admin, I put kde like default profile, with no
> effects too. Really, I don't see any way to select a profile when I
> start a session, despite of the message that the welcome window shows.

The list of profiles is filtered. By default it only removes desktop
environments it fails to detect, but it can also be configured to filter
based on users and groups.

> All /var/log files relative to the thinlinc and vsm are normal, no error
> messages.

I'm afraid the filtering process doesn't log anything.

> Do you have any idea to fix the user window manager to kde, please ?
> Someone could tell me if it is a problem of my thinlinc client or a
> problem with my server users configuration?

This is entirely a server thing. The default configuration will look in
/usr/share/xsessions/ for one of "kde kde-plasma plasma kde4
1-kde-plasma-standard". What do you have in that directory?

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman           Software Development
Cendio AB		http://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?