[Thinlinc-technical] SSH tunnel and Windows client

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Thu May 8 08:37:17 CEST 2014

On Tue, 6 May 2014, Jose Francisco Medeiros wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I like the product online demo  and it works very well off the DSL line I was using for running a Linux virtual machine
> off a server ( Is it Open Zen Server that you are using ? ), however what I was looking for in my Google search before
> finding your website was a firmware update for the older Sun Java Stations and or Sun Ray stations that would bring up a
> RDP client that allowed you to connect to a Vmware ESX / Vsphere VM running Windows XP / Windows 7. My understanding is
> that you are using a TightVNc client over a SSH tunnel, my experience with VNC was that it requires a lot more bandwidth
> then the Microsoft RDP Client or the Citrix ICA client.
>
> Does Cendio have a client for the Sun javastations or Sun ray stations to use with there server backend using VDI?

Unfortunately, due to the closed nature of the devices it is not possible
to install the ThinLinc client (or any other third party software) on Sun
Ray devices. However, it is possible to run the ThinLinc Client on the Sun
Ray server in a "kiosk" session. Note that this gives some drawbacks, for
example limited access to local devices.

Also note that you can install the ThinLinc Server software side by side
with the Sun Ray, on the same server hardware, allowing for a smooth
transition.

Wrt bandwidth, this very much depends on many factors such as client type
and version, the network, which applications you are using etc. As a
general rule, RDP/ICA is more sensitive to which application you are
using, while with ThinLinc (VNC), the performance mostly depends on the
amount of graphic updates.

Regards,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer