[Thinlinc-technical] Need Explanation on Keyboard layout

Vincent Sourin sourin-v at bridgestone-bae.com
Sat Dec 20 20:30:24 CET 2014

Hello,

Can someone explain to me how work keyboard layouts in thinlinc
environnement ?
My goal is to be able to use FreeRDP inside a thinlinc session with a
Belgian Keyboard layout.

1/ I connect to a xfce profile with Windows ThinLinc client (Windows
client is configured with 'Belgian' Layout).

Inside that Linux session, keyboard works well but I don't understand that :
~$ setxkbmap -query
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     us

Q : How can I have a functional 'Belgian' Layout with an 'US' Layout
declared ?

If at this step, I launch a RDP connection with FreeRDP the remote
Windows recognized an US Layout (coherent with what setxkbmap -query
returns)
and I nearly get a functional Belgian layout except that I don't have
any accented characters working (FreeRDP throws "Unknown key with X
keycode ...")

2/ Then I try to force BE layout inside Linux session :
~$ setxkbmap be

Inside the Linux session, keyboard still works perfectly (and I still
don't understand why because I changed the layout ?)

If I launch a RDP connection with FreeRDP : now the remote Windows
recognized an BE Layout, I got all accented characters BUT
I loose the ability to use AltGR key (and with that, access to level 3 keys)

Thanks for your help.

Vincent.

---