[Thinlinc-technical] What is the correct way to retire or reboot a terminal server?

Carsten Rose carsten.rose at math.uzh.ch
Fri Sep 27 12:21:38 CEST 2013

Dear Erik, Pierre

we're also looking _hardly_ for a solution, to prepare hosts for
maintenance.

@Pierre:
 > removing host from '/vsmserver/terminalservers (in vsmserver.hconf)' ...
 > Remaining sessions will still be usable though as long as they
 > remain in the session database.
But this time is quite short, correct?

In the webinterface there are so called 'penalty points' for each host -
increasing them probably lead to 'no new sessions' - but we found no way
to alter these penalty points! Is there a way?

Thanks

Carsten

On 09/27/2013 10:43 AM, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:30:17 +0200
> Erik Vasaasen <erik.vasaasen at nr.no> wrote:
>

>> The main question I've got is how we're supposed to take down one of the
>> terminal servers (the agents) in the cluster if we need to do
>> maintenance, or simply want to do a reboot to activate a new kernel or
>> similar. Is there a way to tell the master "don't use this agent for new
>> connections, but allow existing users to connect to the agent"?
>>

> If you remove the agent from the list in /vsmserver/terminalservers (in
> vsmserver.hconf) then the master will not try to start any new sessions
> on it. Remaining sessions will still be usable though as long as they
> remain in the session database.
>
>> Oh, the only bug I've seen so far is that the web admin interface for
>> reordering profiles (profiles/profilelist) doesn't work in Firefox 23,
>> work in Chrome 29. (I'm unable to reorder the profiles with Firefox)
>
> This is something that's been fixed in the development version and we
> hope to have a stable release out in a couple of months.
>
> Rgds

Carsten Rose
IT Koordinator / Institut für Mathematik

*****
Universität Zürich
Carsten Rose
Institut für Mathematik, Y27-J40
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich

+41 44 635 58 47 Telefon
+41 44 635 57 05 Telefax

www.math.uzh.ch
carsten.rose at math.uzh.ch

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those
that understand binary .. and those that don't"