[Thinlinc-technical] Muti-headed Linux terminal

Jens Langner j.langner at hzdr.de
Mon Aug 5 14:58:46 CEST 2013

Hello,

as mentioned earlier we are using a thinstation driven thin client platform using intel NUC systems together with ThinLinc. Now we have tuned our thinstation env to actually use "openbox" as the window manager since it seems somewhat lightweight and easy to setup. Nevertheless, now we are currently running into problems with thin clients using multi-headed sessions. While previously we weren't using any window manager at all (since we run our own session chooser anyway) and we hadn't any such problems. Now with openbox the thinlinc connections don't span over all available monitors anymore. It seems openbox forces thinlinc to open a session in a large window with actually only one screen and on one monitor only. xdpyinfo on the server then only returns one head with with the size of both monitors together.

After searching for solutions I found the following post on this mailing list:

http://lists.cendio.se/pipermail/thinlinc-technical/2013-February/000247.html

There, the same behavior had already been reported and it was suggested to switch to a different window manager. This is, however, no alternative for us. In this posting Pierre Ossman wrote that there seems to be a multi-head extension to the window manager protocol which openbox and other window managers don't support yet. Now I am curious what extension Pierre was actually referring to and if there is an easy way to implement that in openbox (which I would do, if easily feasible). So if there is any code example or similar to share I would love to see and use that as a template as we are currently forced to run an openbox version compiled without xinerama support and having some other workaround to have a similar behavior like not having any window manager running at all.

So any help would be appreciated.

best regards,
jens
--
Dr. Jens Langner
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden