[Thinlinc-technical] Cannot open display after some time

Germ van Eck g.vanek at stationtostation.nl
Wed Feb 27 13:30:34 CET 2013

For the last year, and after several (re-)installations I keep having
the issue that I can't start new X applications after some time. When I
try to do this from the terminal, I get the error "Cannot open display".

myusername at mypc:~/sbin> echo $DISPLAY
:1.0
myusername at mypc:~/sbin> w
  13:18:14 up 8 days,  1:13,  3 users,  load average: 0,77, 0,63, 0,60
USER     TTY      FROM             LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
myusername     thinlinc :1               10:06    0.00s  0.00s 0.00s
tl-session: myusername
myusername     pts/1    :1.0             11:09    0.00s  0.09s 0.00s w
myusername at mypc:~/sbin> gedit
No protocol specified
Cannot open display:

Both the client and server systems are running Opensuse 12.1. The server
hardware is an Apple iMac (ATI using binary driver), the client is a HP
Laptop.

I use Virtualbox with Win7. The thinlinc-vnc-server version is
3.4.0-3513, X.Org is at 7.6_1-3.2.1.

Both a fix and a workaround would be appreciated, I now solve this by
logging out/in, but this becomes very annoying.