[Thinlinc-technical] [External] Re: Raspberry PI 4 Client?

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Sep 10 20:07:23 CEST 2019

On 9/9/19 4:11 AM, Samuel Mannehed wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
>> I'm surprised to see no reference to the Raspberry Pi, particularly
>> the new Pi 4 which seems to be a good deal more capable than the
>> earlier Pi's. Wouldn't that make excellent cheap client hardware for
>> thinlinc?
> I agree with you that it is an interesting client device and the
> ThinLinc client can most certainly work well on a Raspberry Pi.
>
> The reason you can't find a mention of it from us is that the operating
> system you run on your client is what matters.
>
> Best regards,

We are a university academic department phasing out Sunray appliances
which Oracle/Sun hasn't supported for quite a while now. What was
compelling about the Sunray was using it as an appliance. What ran in
the Sunray was invisible and maintenance free, other than new firmware
downloads from the Sunray server.

Presumably the commercial thin clients you support are like that, but
they are more expensive than seems justified in the age of Raspberry Pi.
It would be nice to have a barebones thinlinc download for the Pi, with
no more or less than what is needed to be a dataless thinlinc only client.