[Thinlinc-technical] OpenSuse 15.1

Samuel Mannehed samuel at cendio.se
Wed Jul 31 09:27:24 CEST 2019

Hi Walt,

> I have tried to get Thinlinc 4.10 working on OpenSuse 15.1.  The
> Thinlinc Platform Specific Notes say it should work on Suse 15 and
> OpenSuse 15, and 15.1 is just a recent release.  I have installed all
> the missing packages according to the setup program, but it keeps
> telling me that the same packages are missing, even after a reboot
> and running tl-setup again, and reconfirming via command line that
> the missing packages have in fact been installed.  Has anyone been
> able to get Thinlinc working on OpenSuse 15.1?  Or is it just not
> possible on 15.1, only on 15?  Or is it possible only on Suse, not
> OpenSuse?
>
> I installed the OpenSuse workstation system, added all the
> development packages, lsb, and the MATE desktop (very nice), all
> updates, and ran "sudo zypper install insserv-compat" in accordance
> with the Thinlinc Platform Specific Notes for Suse/OpenSuse to start
> third party services.  This was all done before trying to install
> Thinlinc.

There are a number of issues with ThinLinc 4.10 on SUSE 15 which will
be addressed in ThinLinc 4.10.1 which is due for release very soon. The
Platform Specific Notes are written with ThinLinc 4.10.1 in
consideration. While we haven't tested openSUSE Leap I suspect that
ThinLinc 4.10.1 will work well since it should be quite close to SUSE.

Getting started on workarounds for ThinLinc 4.10 does not seem
worthwhile now that we're close to releasing official fixes. Stay tuned
in the upcoming days.

> FYI, the SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extensions
> (sle-we/15/x86_64) module is apparently only available for a
> registered copy of Suse 15.1, and is not available at all to the
> OpenSuse version.  See
> https://www.cendio.com/thinlinc/docs/platforms/suse that implies that
> it can be obtained for OpenSuse.  Registered copy mean you have
> downloaded a time limited trial version of Suse, or have bought Suse
> for $799, not OpenSuse.

The note you see on our website is not meant to be directed at
openSUSE. The text only mentions SUSE Linux Enterprise 15. Or are you
referring to the title? I think the idea is that we can write notes for
both SUSE and openSUSE on that page, however currently there are no
notes for openSUSE. Apologies for the confusion.

Best regards,
--
Samuel Mannehed         Software Development
Cendio AB               https://cendio.com