[Thinlinc-technical] thinlinc with gnome-keyring

Justin Garrison justinleegarrison at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 20:52:05 CET 2016

I'm using thinlinc on CentOS/Redhat 7 hosts. The problem is after login via
thinlinc I am prompted for my keyring password because the login password
was not properly passed to pam_gnome_keyring to unlock it automatically.
This problem doesn't happen from gdm or lightdm on the local machine and
they gnome-keyring-daemon is already authenticated after login.

I tried adding the necessary lines to /etc/pam.d/thinlinc

auth       optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
and
session    optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

according to https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeKeyring/Pam/Manual but I
am still prompted for my password after login. I also tried to disable the
keyring but too many applications integrate with it for password storage so
the keyring needs to be running otherwise the gnome-keyring-daemon starts
when the applications start.

I also tried replacing /etc/pam.d/thinlinc with the lightdm configuration
file to see if it would work similarly but it did not.

Is there a way to have the gnome-keyring properly unlocked at login with
thinlinc without using a blank password for the keyring login store?

--
Justin Garrison