[Thinlinc-technical] SSH tunnel and Windows client

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon May 12 09:55:39 CEST 2014

Hi, see comments inline:

On Thu, 8 May 2014, Jose Francisco Medeiros wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thank you for your reply. I am unfamiliar with your company, but that is unfortunate, I was a former VA Linux contractor
> and implemented their first Citrix Metaframe 1.0 server in 1999 for the accounting, HR, Sales and finance department.
>
> I am not a developer, but I think that Krups had an embedded Linux kernel. This may sound like a stupid question, but
> couldn't that be modified to also run your client?  My preference instead of starting the X server / Gnome / KDE
> desktop,  I would prefer to have it set at run level 3 and script starting a client such as RDP / ICA / or the VNC over
> SSH client and be given an option.
> http://www.kokkonen.net/tjko/javastation/

As far as I understand, those "Javastations" are not the same thing as Sun
Ray terminals (DTU:s). So even though our client could in principle be
used on Javastations, it won't work on the Sun Ray DTUs, which has a very
limited hardware.

> Seems like there are SunRay customers that if you could provide a client for could keep the Sunray stations and still use
> your backend hypervisor to run Linux VDI?
> http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/sunray2thinlinc/
>
> What thin client devices do you support? Wyse? Network Computing Devices? 10Zig.com?

It should work with any client terminal which runs Linux (x86 or
ARM-hardfloat), and which allows you to install additional software. To
make deployment easier, we are providing packages for a few terminals.
This includes:

* eLux-based (Fujitsu Futro et. al.) (eLux RL or RP)

* HP ThinPro

* Devices with IGEL Universal Desktop

* Dell Wyse-Enhanced SuSE Linux Terminals

Please note that whether it works or not depends more on the operating
software (OS) than the brand of the hardware. For example, Wyse has 5 or
so different operating systems.

NCD is no longer in operation. Didn't know about 10Zig.com. They have
Linux based devices based on x86, so assuming they allow installation of
additional software, it should work.

Br,
Peter

> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Peter Astrand <astrand at cendio.se> wrote:
>       On Tue, 6 May 2014, Jose Francisco Medeiros wrote:
>
>             Peter,
>
>             I like the product online demo  and it works very well off the DSL line I was using for running a
>             Linux virtual machine
>             off a server ( Is it Open Zen Server that you are using ? ), however what I was looking for in my
>             Google search before
>             finding your website was a firmware update for the older Sun Java Stations and or Sun Ray
>             stations that would bring up a
>             RDP client that allowed you to connect to a Vmware ESX / Vsphere VM running Windows XP / Windows
>             7. My understanding is
>             that you are using a TightVNc client over a SSH tunnel, my experience with VNC was that it
>             requires a lot more bandwidth
>             then the Microsoft RDP Client or the Citrix ICA client.
>
>             Does Cendio have a client for the Sun javastations or Sun ray stations to use with there server
>             backend using VDI?
>

> Unfortunately, due to the closed nature of the devices it is not possible to install the ThinLinc client (or any
> other third party software) on Sun Ray devices. However, it is possible to run the ThinLinc Client on the Sun Ray
> server in a "kiosk" session. Note that this gives some drawbacks, for example limited access to local devices.
>
> Also note that you can install the ThinLinc Server software side by side with the Sun Ray, on the same server
> hardware, allowing for a smooth transition.
>
> Wrt bandwidth, this very much depends on many factors such as client type and version, the network, which
> applications you are using etc. As a general rule, RDP/ICA is more sensitive to which application you are using,
> while with ThinLinc (VNC), the performance mostly depends on the amount of graphic updates.
>

> Regards, ---
> Peter Astrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
> Cendio AB               http://cendio.com
> Teknikringen 8          http://twitter.com/ThinLinc
> 583 30 Linkoping        http://facebook.com/ThinLinc
> Phone: +46-13-214600 http://google.com/+CendioThinLinc