[Thinlinc-technical] Sunray Replacement

Carsten Rose carsten.rose at math.uzh.ch
Wed Jun 26 17:00:25 CEST 2013

Hi Ken

 > .. What would be the most cost effective "appliance"
 > replacement for the Sunrays?

Without a fan, single head:
   Shuttle xs35gs-v2, http://www.shuttle.eu/products/slim/xs35gs-v2/

With fan (very very low noise), dual head:
   Intel NUC DCCP847DYE,
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-kit-dccp847dye.html

Put them on the back of the Monitor (Vesa mount).

The NUC is cheaper than the Shuttle, nowadays we use them for single and
dual head.
We're booting Shuttle and NUC via PXE with the same Ubuntu 12.10 image.

Regarding grafic speed: Our comparison shows that Shuttle and NUC feels
both significant faster then HP T610 and Igel UD5.

CU
Carsten

Carsten Rose
IT Koordinator / Institut für Mathematik

*****
Universität Zürich
Carsten Rose
Institut für Mathematik, Y27-J40
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich

+41 44 635 58 47 Telefon
+41 44 635 57 05 Telefax

www.math.uzh.ch
carsten.rose at math.uzh.ch

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those
that understand binary .. and those that don't"