[Thinlinc-technical] Keyboard configuration in KDE

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Tue Jun 5 10:01:23 CEST 2012

Hi! In general, it is not necessary to change the keyboard layout in the
ThinLinc session. We are using the VNC protocol which is "layoutless" and
can in principle support all layouts at the same time. You need to
configure the correct keyboard layout on the client side though.

Unfortunately, in practice there are a few problems:

* Some legacy applications does not adhere to the X11 protocol
specification, and tries to interpret the physical "keycode", in a layout
dependent way. This is why we have the -KeyboardMap compatibility option,
for simulating a physical keyboard. However, at this time, only a few
compatibility maps are defined: Swedish ("sv"), US English ("en"),
Brazilian ABNT2 ("pt-br") and Turkish ("tr").

VirtualBox is such an application (see
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2595).

* There's also something called XKB - X keyboard extension, which provides
a lot of new functionality, but at a great cost: It is a very large and
complex protocol. Bugs are common. At this time, we do not provide XKB by
default. It is possible to enable XKB in ThinLinc by adding "+kb" to the
/vsmagent/xserver_args parameter, although this is not very well tested.

The VirtualBox ticket claims that they have XKB support, so you might want
to try this out and see if this helps.

Wrt the KDE keyboard tools, it is possible that the settings are grayed
out due to missing XKB support. This is good I think; it is often best to
avoid the desktop environment tools for setting/changing the keyboard
layout. It is typically better to use the default Xserver layout settings
(as configured by /vsmagent/xserver_args).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Peter