[Thinlinc-technical] Keyboard configuration in KDE

Andreas v. Heydwolff listmail at sandpsych.at
Sun Jun 3 13:38:58 CEST 2012

Hello,

many thanks for the great product - the new version seems to produce
even smoother rendering and feels faster than a Sun Ray trial I have
running. However, in my KDE 4 desktop important configuration
possibilities for the keyboard are grayed out. I had exchanged the "sv"
keyboard in the ThinLinc Server Agent settings with "de" (German
keyboard" to begin with, but after logging into KDE via the software
client I observe

-> System Settings - Input devices - Keyboard Settings - *Hardware*
- the keyboard model cannot be chosen because it is grayed out

-> System Settings - Input devices - Keyboard Settings - *Layout*
- everything is grayed out

-> System Settings - Input devices - Keyboard Settings - *Advanced*
- everything is grayed out

Is this intended behavior? Or is it a result perhaps of using a Sun Type
6 keyboard together with the hack to make SRSS work in Debian/Ubuntu
that entails some changes in the configuration of directories relevant
for xkb files?

In KDE I now cannot use and change between different keyboard layouts
that I need, and in my VirtualBox Windows guest running in the KDE
desktop many keys are mis-mapped when using ThinLinc or not responding
altogether while they are working in the Sun Ray setup.

Hints on how to solve the problem will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

A.v. Heydwolff