[Thinlinc-technical] Cannot switch keyboard layout

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Wed Jan 20 16:40:37 CET 2016

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:00:13 +0100
Torsten Kasch <tk at CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> wrote:

> OTOH, changing the keyboard layout setting (e.g. from US to German)
> on the IGEL terminals (via the IGEL Universal Management Suite)
> *does* have the desired effect, even for a connected ThinLinc session.
>
> Am I trying something stupid? Any hints on how to allow our users
> switching their keyboard layout are appreciated.

I'm afraid this is how VNC works (and therefore ThinLinc) at the
moment. Other systems generally send physical key identifiers, but VNC
sends the symbol instead. That means that in other systems the layout
on the server (or in the virtualised guest) is what matters. But with
VNC the layout of the client is what's relevant.

The advantage is that the local layout is usually already correct and
you don't have to worry about how the server is configured. The
disadvantage is that it is often not as easy to switch layout, and
applications that care about physical keys can easily get confused.

So you are doing things correctly when you are changing the layout on
the IGEL device. :)

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman           Software Development
Cendio AB		https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?