[Thinlinc-technical] Is it possible to assign VSM agent based on unix group membership of user?

Erik Vasaasen erik.vasaasen at nr.no
Thu Jan 28 15:16:25 CET 2016

Currently we're using a HA setup where users are allocated to three
login servers, and then ssh to computing resources from there.
Assignment of login server is based on normal load balancing of VSM agents.

This works fine for most users, but a group here works with large
satellite images (typically users with 34" screens, lots of pixels
changing), and they've complained about low performance when working on
large images. So, to alleviate this problem I've configured a separate
thinlinc install directly on their main computing server. Skipping one
ssh step and working directly on the same server where the thinlinc
session is running improves performance by quite a lot (5x or so).

Now, this group is not that large, so having a special case for them is
fine, but I would have preferred these users to go through the VSM
server that the other users go through, perhaps based on their unix
group membership. E.g. "if you are one of these users you're sent to
this server, if not you go to one of these servers".

I can't see any way of doing this from the documentation, but perhaps
I'm wrong - is there a way to do this?

Erik