[Thinlinc-technical] thinlocal : printer is not responding

Rob De Langhe rob.de.langhe at twistfare.be
Wed Oct 14 21:36:44 CEST 2015

  all,

still struggling with printing ... :-(

I have a network printer on my local LAN, which is powered-on.

I can print from my client Ubuntu 14.04 to this network printer.

I have "printer" exported in the TL-client program for becoming accessible
at the TL-agent.

I login to the TL-agent, and see the "thinlocal" queue, but "lpstat -t"
show status "The printer is not responding" :

# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for thinlocal: thinlocal:/
thinlocal accepting requests since wo 14 okt 2015 21:16:55 CEST
printer thinlocal is idle.  enabled since wo 14 okt 2015 21:16:55 CEST
    The printer is not responding.

I found somewhere that the file /etc/cups/client.conf had to be created
with a "ServerName" directive, to ensure that all jobs are forwarded to
another host, in this case that other host would need to be the TL-server.
So I created that file, restarted CUPS on the agent, but still "not
responding".

I checked on the TL-server, also this one shows the same status of print
queue "thinlocal", altough from the ThinLinc admin manual it is not clear
to me how the connectivity to or the status of a 'local' printer from a
client-session can be inspected.

The file /etc/cups/printers.conf on the agent, contains

  <Printer thinlocal>
UUID urn:uuid:fca79d8b-be0d-3bd4-5a19-359bccf24959
Info thinlocal printer (special queue)
Location The thin clients local printer
DeviceURI thinlocal:/
PPDTimeStamp *
State Idle
StateTime 1443430680
Type 4180
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
ColorManaged Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job
</Printer>

I assume this file has been created by the "tl-setup" script, because I did
not create nor alter it.

The CUPS log "/var/log/cups/access_log" on the TL-server show that a print
job from the agent was correctly accepted:

10.50.0.53 - - [14/Oct/2015:20:18:16 +0200] "POST /printers/thinlocal
HTTP/1.1" 200 122257 Print-Job successful-ok

However the CUPS error log "/var/log/cups/error_log" shows immediately

E [14/Oct/2015:20:18:21 +0200] [Job 1] The printer is not responding.

I set the logging level of CUPS on the TL-server already at DEBUG level,
checked the /var/log/cups/error_log, but no extra information is logged to
allow troubleshooting.

I checked the /var/log/vsmserver logfile and found a single, maybe relevant
line around the timestamp (1 second later) when the print job was submitted
:
2015-10-14 20:18:17 DEBUG vsmserver: Handling connection from ('127.0.0.1',
60012)

Any some clue what needs to be done to get this printing ?

cheers
Rob