[Thinlinc-technical] Migrate configuration during ThinLinc upgrade

Jens Maus j.maus at hzdr.de
Mon Dec 14 16:33:26 CET 2015

Hi,

> Am 14.12.2015 um 12:26 schrieb Peter Astrand <astrand at cendio.se>:
>

> Hi, comments inline:
>
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, Carsten Rose wrote:
>
>> Dear Peter
>>
>> IMHO:
>>
>> - using hiveconf is ok, but at least for me unsual. I know no other packages which uses this library.
>
> Correct. This project never gained any momentum outside ThinLinc. Some projects uses GConf, which uses XML files. GConf is deprecated though and GConf is now replaced by GSettings, which uses binary files.
>
> Other project such as Samba, KDE etc uses text files similar to Hiveconf, but has their own backend implementation/API. Hiveconf also does not have any C backend (yet...) so only usable for Python and shell script projects.
>
> We could consider migrating away from Hiveconf, but I have the impression that text based configuration files are appreciated by many admins (compared to XML or binary). Let us know if you think otherwise.

In addition to support to keep text-based configuration in ThinLinc (please no binary or XML files for simple configuration tasks like in ThinLinc!) I would like to also ask you to consider moving away from obfuscating your distributed python scripts in ThinLinc. Often we are faced here with situations where we would love to understand or debug a problem related to ThinLinc but end up in not being able to read/modify the python scripts you are supplying with ThinLinc because you seem to use a python obfuscating software.

So would it please be possible to consider moving a way from obfuscated python scripts to human readable python scripts since this would not only allow us to debug things in a better way but also to potentially develop extensions to ThinLinc, etc.

Regards,

Jens
--
Dr. Jens Maus
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR)

Board of Directors:
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey,
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk,
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden

*** Content is authentic only with digital signature  ***