[Thinlinc-technical] Support for Ubuntu 14.10 in upcoming ThinLinc 4.3.0?

Jens Maus j.maus at hzdr.de
Wed Oct 29 09:31:06 CET 2014

Hi,

> Am 29.10.2014 um 08:56 schrieb Peter Astrand <astrand at cendio.se>:
>
>> Jens Maus <j.maus at hzdr.de> writes:
>>> I know that ThinLinc 4.3.0 is officially supposed to support Ubuntu
>>> 14.04 only, but since 14.10 had been just released and is a rather
>>> minor update many people will probably install it (like we) and it
>>> would be great if support for 14.10 could also be added before the
>>> official release of ThinLinc 4.3.0.
>
> Do you see any major advantage with running 14.10 instead of 14.04? It's only supported for 9 months anyway - until July 2015. That's only 3 months after the planned ThinLinc 4.4 release. Compare this with 14.04 LTS, which is supported until April 2019.

Well, we are a scientific organization requiring to work with the latest versions of applications in different scientific fields. As such we are switching mostly to all upcoming Ubuntu versions to work with the latest brand versions of applications, tools and even modern kernel versions. Keeping Ubuntu 14.04 LTS until 2019 (5 more years) is no option since it will put our competitors into a better situation. As such, always refraining to LTS variants of Ubuntu is no option for us because using the latest versions of applications is more important to us than not having to worry for a major update for 5 years.

So yes, we would really appreciate it if there would be hot fixes for ThinLInc 4.2.0 or 4.3.0 or at least some documentation on a webpage on how to patch the installation archives to install them also on intermediate versions between the LTS variants of Ubuntu.

regards,
jens
--
Dr. Jens Maus
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf

Board of Directors:
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey,
Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter Joehnk,
VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden

(Please note a real name change effective since 5.9.2013.
Former name: Jens Langner)

*** Content is authentic only with digital signature  ***