[Thinlinc-technical] dynamically choosing terminal server

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Wed Oct 1 13:21:34 CEST 2014

Hi. I'd say that you should go for option 2, "At a lower level". With
individual virtual machines, one would typically have the possibility of
giving administrator/root access to the users. That's one of the
advantages with individual virtual machines compared to multi user
terminal server solutions. However, the ThinLinc cluster security model is
based on the fact the all machines are controlled by the
administrator/root. Thus, you should not add machines to a TL cluster
which are controlled by end users. Also, even though the TL load balancer
scales well, it's not designed for 1000 machines.

So, you should go for a solution with 2 or more terminal servers which
hosts the base user sessions (Xserver). Then, there are multiple options
for using and connecting to virtual machines:

* If you are using a hosted hypervisor such as VMware workstation or
VirtualBox, you can run those directly on the ThinLinc servers, inside the
user sessions.

* You can also define a profile (see profiles.hconf) that connects to a
virtual machine and runs the desktop environment there. In principle, you
should be able to define a profile which runs "tl-run-unixapp
gnome-session" or similar.

Almost every aspect of the session startup can be customized. As a
starting point, take a look at:

http://www.cendio.com/resources/docs/tag/configuration_customizing_user_session.html#configuration_session-startup-vsmagent

Br,
Peter

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Rob De Langhe wrote:

> hy ThinLinc enthousiasts,
>
> I am looking for a 'best practice' to box users in their individual virtual server.
>
> At the highest level, I can choose to create individual terminal servers at the time where a new user gets defined in the system
> (that user list will probably be kept in LDAP). So this would become potentially many (10's, 100's or even 1000's) of terminal
> servers.
> - disadvantages (if I understood well) : not sure (documentation?) how we can replace the load-balancing method of the VSM server
> by some mechanism to force the VSM server to startup a session on a specific terminal server for an authenticated user ; a bit of
> effort to develop the automated creation/drop of virtual servers when users are created/deleted
> - advantages : user sessions are boxed ; virtual servers can be created and resources can be assigned/tuned dynamically
>
> At a lower level, I can define 2 (or more?) terminal servers to startup all user sessions. Is there a way to replace the startup of
> a user session on the terminal server by a script which determines a virtual server to use for that user, starts that virtual
> server (1-2 seconds needed only) does a X11-forwarded SSH connection to that virtual server and starts there a GNOME2 (or whatever
> chosen) X11 session
> - disadvantages : not sure (documentation?) how we can replace the session-startups on terminal servers by some new self-developed
> script (which will figure out the virtual server to use for this new session, startup that virtual server, SSH to it and starts
> session on it)
> - advantages : any server and any UNIX flavor can act as guest host to run such virtual servers ; virtual servers are totally
> independent from ThinLinc ; more control over the actions performed by the script running on the ThinLinc terminal servers
>
> Any comments, experiences, hints ?
>
> best regards,
> Rob

---