[Thinlinc-technical] [Solved] Cannot open display after some time

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Thu Feb 28 08:15:16 CET 2013

Glad to hear that you found the problem. I think it would be very
difficult for Thinlinc to handle a situation with a changed hostname. If
we would use "localhost" in the xauth list, there will be a collision if
you have the Xauthority file in the home directory and logging in to
multiple servers, for example. My recommendation is to use a static
hostname.

Rgds,
Peter

>Got it solved.
>
>germ at sts012:/var/opt/thinlinc/sessions/germ/1> xauth -v -f Xauthority list
>Using authority file Xauthority
>sts012/unix:1  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  ce5f13a401d5cf973e42e7b12e1b37a2
>
>germ at sts012:/var/opt/thinlinc/sessions/germ/1> xauth -f Xauthority add
>"$(hostname)/unix:1" MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ce5f13a401d5cf973e42e7b12e1b37a2
>germ at sts012:/var/opt/thinlinc/sessions/germ/1> gedit
>_IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host sts012
>_IceTransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host sts012
>
>(gedit:29328): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager:
>Could not open network socket
>

>The gedit command takes a long time, as it tries to connect to the no longer
>existing hostname sts012 twice, but I now know it is because of the hostname.
>
>I am pretty sure I fixed it for myself by changing my DHCP network
>configuration, now you may decide if this is a bug in thinlinc or not...

---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://cendio.com
Teknikringen 8		http://twitter.com/ThinLinc