[Thinlinc-technical] rdesktop pulse support

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Dec 9 15:58:41 CET 2013

> I just tried the rdesktop supplied with thinlinc 4.1.1 and it seems
> the thing still does not support pulse audio ... am I missing
> something?
>
> how about the patch here ?
>
>  http://sourceforge.net/p/rdesktop/patches/190/

Hi, it is correct that rdesktop does not have native PulseAudio support
yet. We haven't found any good reason to add such support. When rdesktop
runs in a ThinLinc and Windows/RDP context, much of the functionality
provided by PulseAudio is not required or relevant, at least not with the
current level of audio support in rdesktop. Additionally, if we would
build rdesktop with PulseAudio support by linking to libpulse.so, it would
not run on distributions such as RHEL 5; PulseAudio was introduced in RHEL
6. Of course, we could work around this by using dlopen instead of normal
linkage etc, but then again, we haven't found any good reason to work on
this yet :) The existing solution which automatically uses "padsp" if
available should work well.

Best regards,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer