[Thinlinc-technical] Sunray Replacement

Darrel Hankerson hankedr at auburn.edu
Thu Aug 1 18:13:57 CEST 2013

Tobias Oetiker writes:

   we are quite happy with the hp t610 ... its cpu is slightly weaker
   than what is required for 1920x1080 fullscreen, but for slightly
   smaller sized windows (youtube in the browser) it works realy well.

With the HP-supplied Ubuntu-based installation, we get "movies" at slow
speed unless we feed audio direct to the caller (rather than via
tunnel).  I'm using the definitions in

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Network/

for "direct" and "tunnel".

Are you running a different OS or other modification?  We get very good
results on the t5745 (the model that precedes the t610), with an
HP-supplied installation based on Debian "lenny".  The hardware differs
(the 5745 is atom-based, while the 610 is AMD G-T56N with ATI audio).

Like Oetiker, we rely on Sun Rays.  The strengths differ, but the Ray 2
cannot compete with Thinlinc on full-motion video with audio.  Thinlinc
is impressive overall in our (preliminary) tests.

--
Darrel Hankerson