[Thinlinc-technical] More users / Less servers

Christian Nygaard chris at math.uu.se
Mon Aug 10 15:44:55 CEST 2009

2xNehalem L5520, 48GB in 6 dimm or 12 dimm and swapping to 80GB Intel
X25-M 34nm SSD should be able to take quite some users, most likely
throttling out on hang Firefox and Acrobat reader processes. I would
also put the apps on SSD so the server doesn't io stall.

2xThinlinc agents of above

|Intel 82599 10GE private network link

1xOpenSolaris 2009.06 Storage server
3xLSI 3081ER
20xSATA 2.5" RAID10
2xSATA spare
2xIntel X-25M RAID1

Opensolaris hybrid storage pool of harddisks and flash reducing latency
# zpool pool create rr mirror c1t1d0 c1t2d0 log mirror c1t3d0s0 c1t4d0s0 \
cache c1t3d0s1 c1t4d0s1
jumbo frames
zfs set compression=on

Above give you 500MB/s writes and about 1GB/s reads, latency < 5ms turn
compression on throughput roughly doubles.

//Christian
  Christian Nygaard, Sysadmin    Room:   1:4204
  Department of Mathematics,     Phone:  +46  (0)18 - 471 32 37
  Uppsala University.	        Mobile: +46 (0)704 - 25 03 15