[Thinlinc-technical] bitmap cache?

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Thu Jun 28 09:51:45 CEST 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Christian Nygaard wrote:

> Is it possible to implement a checksum bitmap cache extension to VNC?
>
> So that if md5sum of a bitmap region the same as previously recorded the
> bitmap is fetched from cache instead of being resent over the line to the
> VNC client?

Hi. Some work on this subject has already been done, see the thread on the
TightVNC mailing list called "RFB Caching technique":
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=43DFF142020000780000BC4A%40lucius.provo.novell.com

These changes have not yet been included in TightVNC or ThinLinc, but
this is something that we will consider in future versions.

If you test the Novell implementation, please tell us about the results.

Regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://www.cendio.se