[ThinLinc-technical] ThinLinc Server on Linux on Power (ppc64le) platform

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Thu Jul 9 12:31:22 CEST 2020

On 06/07/2020 11:34, Priya Seth wrote:

> To that end, I had a couple of questions,
>
> 1- is ppc64le a supported platform currently or has any work been done in
> the past to support it?

No, I'm afraid it is not something we've looked at.

> 2- I see that the server installer and source code are available for
> download from https://www.cendio.com/thinlinc/download/registration - does
> this include all the source files? are these hosted in an external GitHub
> or any other source control repository? are all the components open source?

No. Many parts of ThinLinc are proprietary so they are not available
publicly in any form.

> 3- probably related to the above, does the community accept external code
> contributions (like those for adding support for a new architecture) and if
> so what is the license / other terms under which these contributions are
> accepted? Is there a CLA?

I'm afraid we don't have any method of code contribution to the
proprietary parts. For the open source components simply contribute to
the projects ThinLinc uses and it will eventually end up in ThinLinc.

> Basically, trying to understand what would be the best place to get started
> if I wanted to port this? Any pointers here would be of great help.

I'm afraid there is little you can assist with when it comes to porting
to new architectures. Most of the work would be on Cendio's in-house
build system, setting up test and development environments and adjusting
our routines. I don't think there will be much in the way of code
changes to ThinLinc's components.

We appreciate your eagerness to help in this issue. But unfortunately
the missing piece is sufficient business interest to justify the added
work of maintaining another architecture.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman           Software Development
Cendio AB               https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?