[ThinLinc-technical] ThinLinc Server on Linux on Power (ppc64le) platform

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Mon Aug 17 15:37:44 CEST 2020

Hello Jens,

Sorry for the late reply. It's been vacation season here in Sweden and I
just got back.

On 14/07/2020 08:54, Jens Maus wrote:

> AFAIR you have stated in the past that you are in principle open for releasing some more portions of the ThinLinc code as open source. Is this still the case?
>
> For a start we would be especially interested in the non obfuscated python code portions ThinLinc uses internally. In the current ThinLinc installation archive you are unfortunately using a code obfuscating tool to obfuscate the python code that ThinLinc uses. However, in the past we had multiple occasions here where we would have liked to tune/patch or add workarounds to the python code for certain situations. This was, however, not possible because of the obfuscated python code. So please consider to at least open source some more portions of the ThinLinc infrastructure (even perhaps starting a „ThinLinc“ GitHub project consolidating all your components) and, even better, refrain from using this python code obfuscating tool so that in future a ThinLinc installation would be distributed with readable python code that (in the event of some critical situations) could be tuned. This would in fact also allow to better give bug reports in case there are issues that are in the python code portions of ThinLinc.

Unfortunately it is not something we have any plans on changing right
now. It is mostly a commercial decision though, and not a technical one
so I'm not the primary person for such a change. However it is unlikely
to happen until we feel comfortable that enough customers would continue
paying for a subscription even if a free alternative is available.

And we would likely also not want to support modified versions, even if
the code was easily hackable. :)

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman           Software Development
Cendio AB               https://cendio.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?