[ThinLinc-technical] migrating from Sunray: need easy login/logout

Peter Arnold Peter at pjama.net
Fri Apr 17 00:49:20 CEST 2020

On 15/4/20 6:41 pm, Samuel Mannehed wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> Additionally I'd like for the user to be able, in one action, exit
>> from that session back to the tlclient (ie F8+Disconnect_session)
>
> Without changing anything you can disconnect by pressing 'F8' and then
> 'c'. As you can see in the F8-menu, all items have an underlined
> shortcut-letter like that.
>
> If you would rather map a hotkey to a script you can call this command
> to disconnect:
>
>   vncconfig -disconnect

Excellent. I can work with this. :)
For the moment I've just added a launcher on the panel with this in it
and it works well.

>> I'm a ThinPro newb so I'm not sure at this point if I can exclude all
>> else on the desktop except to exec and display the tlclient GUI but I
>> think I can simplify the tlclient options to just user and password
>> for the login process.
>
> The ThinLinc Client can lock the server field and hide the options
> button if you want, just make sure your tlclient is started with these
>
>   tlclient --lock server --hide options ADDRESS_OF_UBUNTU_SERVER
>
> With regards to not displaying other applications/menus in the ThinPro
> OS, I am afraid I'm no expert either.

Damn :) It might be time for me to RTFM.

>> My other concern is that the disconnected desktop will be left
>> "unlocked". Is there any way an unauthorized user can reconnected to
>> it? ATM, because mate-screensaver is running, the desktop gets locked
>> but the user has to unlock twice to get to their desktop which is
>> undesirable. Is there a thinlinc screensaver that might lock, and
>> disconnect from session?
>
> I'd recommend disabling the mate-screensaver and adding a automatic
> disconnect after a some idle time. Look at 'MaxIdleTime' here:
>
> https://www.cendio.com/resources/docs/tag/configuration_limiting_lifetime.html

OK, perhaps not my ideal but it's a home environment so I can play with
it with not much risk. It looks like I'll need to balance Idle time of
not doing anything on the desktop vs not doing anything because it's
disconnected.
> Best regards,

Thanks for your advice.

believed to be clean.