[Thinlinc-technical] [EXTERNAL] Re: [External] Re: Raspberry PI 4 Client?

Moulton, Steve moultonsa at ornl.gov
Wed Sep 11 15:29:40 CEST 2019

Ken,

I work in a government (but highly academic) research lab, and have had very good results using the html5 interface.  If your thin client has a good browser, then this works pretty much seamlessly with no client code required.    Of course, we do use the client in environments where port 22 is available but port 300 (or whichever you choose to use) is not.   As a systems engineer, I love the flexibility and the reliability, and the happy customers.

Usage example: I use a chromebook at home to connect to the html5 client.   Performance is very good.

  - Steve

--
Steve Moulton - Systems Engineer
Future Technologies Group, CSMD

On 9/11/19, 8:24 AM, "Thinlinc-technical on behalf of Samuel Mannehed" <thinlinc-technical-bounces at lists.cendio.se on behalf of samuel at cendio.se> wrote:

    Hi Ken,

    > We are a university academic department phasing out Sunray appliances
    > which Oracle/Sun hasn't supported for quite a while now. What was
    > compelling about the Sunray was using it as an appliance. What ran in
    > the Sunray was invisible and maintenance free, other than new
    > firmware downloads from the Sunray server.
    >
    > Presumably the commercial thin clients you support are like that, but
    > they are more expensive than seems justified in the age of Raspberry
    > Pi. It would be nice to have a barebones thinlinc download for the
    > Pi, with no more or less than what is needed to be a dataless
    > thinlinc only client.

    I understand your need.

    Some veterans on this list might remember that we did actually have an
    OS like that a couple of years back, it was called TLCOS ("ThinLinc
    Client Operating System"). However, there was never much demand for it,
    and it did require a lot of development resources. We decided to stick
    to what we're good at and discontinued TLCOS back in 2013.

    Keep in mind that what you're mainly paying for with these commercial
    thin clients is not the hardware but the convenience of the management
    systems.

    If you're after something to manage yourself on Raspberry PI I'd look
    at for example Raspi-TC, it comes with the ThinLinc client by default I
    believe. Another good solution is ThinStation, but it doesn't work on
    arm processors yet.

    Best regards,
    --
    Samuel Mannehed         Software Development
    Cendio AB               https://cendio.com
    Manage your subscription: