[Thinlinc-technical] Cinnamon running in software rendering (Linux Mint 18, ThinLinc Server)

Samuel Mannehed samuel at cendio.se
Mon Jul 24 10:48:00 CEST 2017

Hi Adam,

> Does anybody knows, how to make the Cinnamon Window Manager (Linux
> Mint) to work in hardware acceleration mode?
>
> I have DELL with Intel CPU with Graphic on-board, when I log in on
> machine, everything is ok, but via ThinLinc I see Software rendering
> and then huge CPU usage.

Yes, remote sessions can't normally use your local GPU. You can use for
example VirtualGL for this:

http://www.virtualgl.org/

To run your cinnamon through VirtualGL you will need to modify the
commandline for the ThinLinc profile for Cinnamon. I believe it should
be something like "vglrun cinnamon-session".

For more details regarding VirtualGL I recommend you to take a look at
their official documentation.

Regards,
--
Samuel Mannehed         Software Development
Cendio AB               https://cendio.com