[Thinlinc-technical] VirtualGL experience?

Luciano Sereni luciano.sereni at b-acco.it
Mon Sep 5 10:15:56 CEST 2016

Hi
I did not know VirtualGL
I don't like Gnome 3 especially by remote desktop.

We are using the Mate desktop with Thinlinc
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATE

Mate is very fast in remote desktop.
Regards

> Dear all
>
> does anyone use VirtualGL (http://www.virtualgl.org/) in a productive
> environment together with Thinlinc?
>
> We're wondering which GPU's
> - are well tested, stable and could be recommended?
> - deliver a good price/performance ratio?
>
> And further:
> - are there any impacts to take care of?
> - is anyone using more than 1 GPU per bare metal?
> - how do you use VirtualGL: local or remote as proxy?
> - how many sessions do you run per GPU?
>

> We did a very short test with a Gnome 3 / Ubuntu 16.04 installation and have
> been quite impressed by the result.
>
> Without VirtualGL:
>
> a) A Gnome 3 Desktop was really slow (old SunRay 1 feeling). The gnome-shell
> process (one per session) takes more than 50% CPU time (of one core) and
> this constantly.
>
> b) A Unity Desktop (which by default comes up with unity-lowgfx in a
> Thinlinc environment) are much better due to the unity-lowgfx
> (http://www.whizzy.org/2016/09/unity-7-low-graphics-mode/ - check the
> video). *But* there is one compiz process per session, which runs constantly
> between 50 and 100%!
>
> With VirtualGL:
>
> a) There was *no* difference in the user experience, between a Gnome 3
> desktop session on a powerful notebook (standard graphic features enabled)
> and a Gnome 3 Thinlinc session (lot's of graphic features disabled,
> comparable to Unity-lowgfx). The gnome-shell process raises in the CPU time
> only (up to 100%), if there are movements on the screen - the CPU drops down
> in the same moment when the movement stops. We've tested with three Thinlinc
> session simultaneously.
>
> b) Unity Session: not tested now.
>

> BTW: Cendio provides some generic installation hints about VirtualGL:
> https://www.cendio.com/resources/docs/tag/virtualgl.html
>
> Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend.
>
> CU
> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Rose
> IT Koordinator / Institut für Mathematik
>
> *****
> Universität Zürich
> Carsten Rose
> Institut für Mathematik, Y27-J40
> Winterthurerstrasse 190
> CH-8057 Zürich
>
> +41 44 635 58 47 Telefon
> +41 44 635 57 05 Telefax
>
> www.math.uzh.ch
> carsten.rose at math.uzh.ch
>
> "There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those
> that understand binary .. and those that don't"

Luciano SERENI
Amministratore e Business Analyst di B-Acco s.r.l.
luciano.sereni at b-acco.it
tel  (+39) 0742 622689
mobile (+39) 347 8923564

B-Acco s.r.l.
Partner in controllo di gestione e cloud applicativo

Via Santa Caterina, 46
06034 Foligno PG - Italy
CF/PI 03188590545 Cap.Soc 12.000,00 €
Iscrizione n. 270316 R.E.A. Perugia
email: info at b-acco.it pec: b-acco at omnibuspec.net
Tel 0742 622689 Fax 0742 840627
www.b-acco.it

--
Ai sensi del D.Lgs. 196/2003 si precisa che le informazioni contenute
in questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del

Pursuant to Legislative Decree No. 196/2003, you are hereby informed
that this message contains confidential information intended only for
the use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee, and have
received this message by mistake, please delete it and immediately
notify us. You may not copy or disseminate this message to anyone.
Thank you.