[Thinlinc-technical] userid of Thinlinc administrator

Brian Fristensky brianfristensky at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:01:17 CEST 2016

Sometimes the trivial things can stand in the way of getting things done.

I just installed Thinlinc Server 4.6.0 on my Debian Wheezy system, and for
the life of me couldn't login to the Thinlinc Web Administration  system. I
would navigate to myhost:1010 and get the login box, which says

A username and password are being requested by https://myhost:1010.
The site says"tlwebadm".

So I type in "tlwebadmin" as userid and the password, and the box
reappears.
After many tries to eliminate the possibility that I typed the password
incorrectly, I did some searching.

Finally, after a couple of hours, I discover in the file tlwebadm.hconf
that the *userid shoud be "admin", not "tlwebadm". *

I think it would be a good idea to make this prominent, somewhere in the
documentation.
Even better, add a message to the setup script to tell the person
installing Thinlinc Server that the userid is "admin".

Maybe one other thing to mention: when running tl-setup, it prompts for an
administrator password, but does not prompt twice, to verify the password.
Having a verify prompt might be good to have in the next release of
Thinlinc Server.

Brian Fristensky
University of Manitoba