[Thinlinc-technical] Installing 4.6.0 server on Debian 8 Jessie - Debian bug and workaround

Mate Lampert lampert.mate at wigner.mta.hu
Tue Jun 21 12:18:22 CEST 2016

Dear Users,

I also found some problems regarding upgrading to the new version. One
of my package repositories (PPA) in Ubuntu 14.04 was unreachable and it
caused the Thinlinc setup to fail. The solution was to remove that
non-working repository from the related file.

However, it would be nice, if the tl-setup would not fail in this
situation, but it would if one of the requires packages were
unreachable. Furthermore, it would be nice to reach the setup log with
one click instead of opening up the terminal, going to /var/log and
looking into the setup log.  I have to note, that I was installing the
script through X11 tunnel. In terminal hitting a button would also suffice.

Best regards,

Mate

On 2016-06-21 18:36, Jens Maus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also ran into the same issue yesterday, but with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I was, however, able to solve the problem by applying the same workaround the cenido documentation in mentioning for required adaptions after having installed 4.6.0. See „tl-setup on Debian 8 (jessie) here:
>
> https://www.cendio.com/thinlinc/docs/platforms/ubuntu
>
> best regards,
> jens
>
>> Am 21.06.2016 um 09:56 schrieb Andreas v. Heydwolff <listmail at sandpsych.at>:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> thanks to Cendio for the 4.6 release! However, a bug in Debian may
>> prevent its installation on a current stable system. In case someone
>> would like to install it on a Debian Jessie server - I ran into
>>
>>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=743903
>>
>> (lsb-core: /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd fails on any init script)
>>
>> which left me with a half installed, unusable server.
>>
>> The workaround that made the install reach its completion was to
>> download lsb-core from Wheezy, extract it and temporarily replace
>>
>>   initdutils.py
>>
>> from Jessie with the Wheezy version. The rollback of the bad patch as
>> described in the bug report (implemented in Jessie) is not enough, a
>> diff showed more differences than the reverted ones.
>>
>> With the Wheezy version installation went smoothly through to the end.
>> Will add a refresher bug report to the Debian bug tracker later today.
>> Peter Åstrand had already reopened he bug in February (thanks!) without
>> any subsequent response because back then the bug had already been
>> described as closed for some time.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andreas v. Heydwolff

  Mate Lampert
  PhD Student
  Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics (RMI)
  Wigner Research Centre for Physics (Wigner RCP)
  Hungarian Academy of Sciences (HAS)
  Association EURATOM/HAS
  Letters: P.O.B. 49, H-1525, Budapest, Hungary
  Fax: (36 1) 3922598
  Phone: (36 1) 3922541
  E-mail: lampert.mate at wigner.mta.hu