[Thinlinc-technical] Installing 4.6.0 server on Debian 8 Jessie - Debian bug and workaround

Andreas v. Heydwolff listmail at sandpsych.at
Tue Jun 21 09:56:17 CEST 2016

Dear all,

thanks to Cendio for the 4.6 release! However, a bug in Debian may
prevent its installation on a current stable system. In case someone
would like to install it on a Debian Jessie server - I ran into

(lsb-core: /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd fails on any init script)

which left me with a half installed, unusable server.

The workaround that made the install reach its completion was to
download lsb-core from Wheezy, extract it and temporarily replace

  initdutils.py

from Jessie with the Wheezy version. The rollback of the bad patch as
described in the bug report (implemented in Jessie) is not enough, a
diff showed more differences than the reverted ones.

With the Wheezy version installation went smoothly through to the end.
Will add a refresher bug report to the Debian bug tracker later today.
Peter Åstrand had already reopened he bug in February (thanks!) without
any subsequent response because back then the bug had already been
described as closed for some time.

Regards,

Andreas v. Heydwolff