[Thinlinc-technical] Cannot switch keyboard layout

Torsten Kasch tk at CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Wed Jan 20 17:47:00 CET 2016

On 20.01.2016 16:40, Pierre Ossman wrote:
[...]
> I'm afraid this is how VNC works (and therefore ThinLinc) at the
> moment. Other systems generally send physical key identifiers, but VNC
> sends the symbol instead. That means that in other systems the layout
> on the server (or in the virtualised guest) is what matters. But with
> VNC the layout of the client is what's relevant.

I was afraid you would say that... :-(

> The advantage is that the local layout is usually already correct and
> you don't have to worry about how the server is configured. The
> disadvantage is that it is often not as easy to switch layout, and
> applications that care about physical keys can easily get confused.
>
> So you are doing things correctly when you are changing the layout on
> the IGEL device. :)

Well, we had a request for a Dvorak keyboard layout from one of our users and I
was hoping not to have to "hard-wire" the layout for a specific terminal which
makes it practically unusable for others by reducing the advantage of having
roaming sessions...

So it looks like I'll have to contact IGEL support then since there currently is
no Dvorak layout available when configuring a terminals keyboard.

Thanks for the explanation though.

cheers,
	Torsten