[Thinlinc-technical] Cannot switch keyboard layout

Torsten Kasch tk at CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Wed Jan 20 16:00:13 CET 2016

Dear all,

it seems I cannot get switching of keyboard layouts working in Linux ThinLinc
sessions. This is on a ThinLinc 4.5.0 server running on Fedora 23 with a XFCE
desktop, ThinLinc clients are 4.5.0 as well, running on various platforms
(mostly IGEL terminals and OSX systems). I tried something like

	setxkbmap us
	setxkbmap de
	setxkbmap dvorak
	[...]

which works perfectly for my Fedora 23 system running as a VirtualBox VM on my
Laptop, but has no effect in my ThinLinc sessions, apart from the XFCE panel
applet "Keyboard Layouts" *showing* the desired layout.

OTOH, changing the keyboard layout setting (e.g. from US to German) on the IGEL
terminals (via the IGEL Universal Management Suite) *does* have the desired
effect, even for a connected ThinLinc session.

Am I trying something stupid? Any hints on how to allow our users switching
their keyboard layout are appreciated.

cheers,
	Torsten