[Thinlinc-technical] TL v4.5 : failure printing from Windows-client

Rob De Langhe rob.de.langhe at twistfare.be
Fri Oct 30 15:04:58 CET 2015

hi TL-enthousiasts,

I have the master and agent running TL-v4.5 now (the beta version); a
Windows-client is version 4.4

1) I can print normally from this Windows PC to my local printer, any type
of file
2) I have the Windows printer-queue open, to see what the printer is doing
(if anything)
3) I launch the TL-client, make sure that the local printer is exported to
TL, then open a new session on the agent
4) I see that the 'thinlocal' print queue is enabled:
$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for thinlocal: thinlocal:/
thinlocal accepting requests since vr 30 okt 2015 14:36:35 CET
printer thinlocal is idle.  enabled since vr 30 okt 2015 14:36:35 CET
    Sending job to queue thinlocal at 127.0.0.1:4913

5) I open some web-page, print it to a local PDF file; so far so good (the
file exists, and is about 43KB size)

6) when I transfer the file manually from the TL-directory to my
Windows-PC, open the PDF file with Acrobat Reader, then I can print it
normally to my local printer; so far so good
7) however, when I print from within the TL-session to the 'thinlocal'
printer, and keep an eye at the same time on the Windows-screen which shows
the print-queue, I see a very short print-job appearing on the
Windows-print-queue, then disappears again. And nothing gets sent to my
printer.

-> how to diagnose what gets sent to my Windows-TL-client ? Possible some
empty job ?

The log on the Windows-PC, "%TEMP%\tlclient.log" contains these lines with
the confirmation that the job sending happens well :
2015-10-30T14:48:00: New thinlocal printer job, receiving to:
C:\Users\rob\AppData\Local\Temp\lpd18
2015-10-30T14:48:00: Finished receiving printer job
2015-10-30T14:48:00: Printing job with title "[Thinlinc-technical] Thinlinc
printing issue workaround" and type "application/octet-stream" (1 copies)
on queue "thinlocal".
2015-10-30T14:48:00: Job printed successfully

8) when I change my Windows default printer to a PDF-file printer, an retry
again printing from the TL-session, then I can save the generated PDF file
on the Windows-PC, and see correctly the web-page that I was trying to see
on paper...

-> I am lost, where to start diagnosing ?

thanks in advance for any hints !
Rob