[Thinlinc-technical] ThinLinc 4.5 Upgrade Issues

Rafael Ostertag rafael.ostertag at math.uzh.ch
Wed Nov 25 16:16:45 CET 2015

Hi list

We upgraded from ThinLinc 4.4.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 to ThinLinc 4.5.0,
Today, and stumbled across an issue: We first upgraded VSM Server from
4.4.0 to 4.5.0, and left the VSM Agents (different hosts) untouched at
version 4.4.0. After that, existing session could be reconnected as
expected. However, in this mixed setup, we were unable to create new
sessions. The VSM Server log (`/var/log/vsmserver.log`) showed an
exception being thrown:

> 2015-11-25 07:50:28 INFO vsmserver.session: User with uid NNNN (XXXX) requested a new session
> 2015-11-25 07:50:28 INFO vsmserver.session: User XXXX is listed for explicit agent selection in /vsmserver/explicit_agentselection. Selecting tl6 as agent host
> 2015-11-25 07:50:31 INFO vsmserver: VSM Agent tl6 successfully created a new session for XXXXX
> 2015-11-25 07:50:31 ERROR vsmserver.session: Unhandled exception trying to unbind ports for display 5 on VSM Agent XXX:904: <type 'exceptions.KeyError'> 'sessionkey' Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/opt/thinlinc/modules/thinlinc/vsm/async.py", line 112, in iii11
>     obj . handle_read_event ( )
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py", line 444, in handle_read_event
>     self.handle_read()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/asynchat.py", line 140, in handle_read
>     self.found_terminator()
>   File "/opt/thinlinc/modules/thinlinc/vsm/xmlrpc.py", line 405, in found_terminator
>     self . handle_response ( )
>   File "/opt/thinlinc/modules/thinlinc/vsm/xmlrpc.py", line 437, in handle_response
>     self . handle_returnvalue ( )
>   File "/opt/thinlinc/modules/thinlinc/vsm/call_unbindports.py", line 41, in handle_returnvalue
>     self . callback ( )
>   File "/opt/thinlinc/modules/thinlinc/vsm/loginhandler_common.py", line 71, in run_sessionscripts
>     self . send_response ( )
>   File "/opt/thinlinc/modules/thinlinc/vsm/loginhandler_common.py", line 88, in send_response
>     oOOoo ) [ 'sessionkey' ]
> KeyError: 'sessionkey'
> . Marking agent as down.

On the Agent side, the following was logged in `/var/log/vsmagent.log`:

> 2015-11-25 07:50:31 INFO vsmagent.session: Verified connectivity to newly started Xvnc for XXXX

After updating all VSM Agents to version 4.5.0, creating new user
session went back to normal.

We double checked the Release Notes as well as the ThinLinc
Administrator Guide and couldn't find a hint on what the sequence of
updating should be, i.e. Server first vs. Client first.

Thus the question, is this behavior known and is there an recommendation
where to start an upgrade (on the VSM Server or VSM Agent)?

Lastly, our user's home directories are NFS mounted using automount and
are created outside of ThinLinc. Still, we had `make_homedir=1` set in
our `/opt/thinlinc/etc/conf.d/vsmagent.hconf` for some historic reason.
After upgrading the VSM Agents to 4.5.0, some Agents tried to create
home directories for new user session which failed with `[Errno 13]
Permission denied` and the log in failed again. That didn't happended
under 4.4.0.

We don't rely on that feature, and also didn't pay much attention to it.
Hence, we rectified the problem by setting `make_homedir=0`.

But we're wondering why VSM Agent 4.5.0 was unable to figure out, that
the user home directories are already in place. Version 4.4.0 didn't
suffer from this issue. Did anybody else experience this behavior?

Cheers
rafi

--
Rafael Ostertag, Technischer Assistent
Institut für Mathematik, Universität Zürich
Tel: ++41 (0)44 63-55866, rafael.ostertag at math.uzh.ch

--
*****
Universität Zürich

+41 44 635 58 47 Telefon
+41 44 635 57 05 Telefax

www.math.uzh.ch
support at math.uzh.ch

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those
that understand binary .. and those that don't"

Tel: ++41 (0)44 63-55866, rafael.ostertag at math.uzh.ch