[Thinlinc-technical] Do vsmserver and vsmagent renice after a few days?

Patrik Pira papira at flutter.se
Thu Mar 19 11:18:02 CET 2015

Den 2015-03-19 08:06, Peter Astrand skrev:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, David G Miller wrote:
>
>> Subject says it all.  We have noticed that vsmserver and vsmagent
>> start with a nice of 0 (normal Linux priority) and then apparently
>> renice to a nice of 10 after a few days.  This creates problems for
>> users who are starting processes since the child processes that they
>> start inherit the nice setting of the parent process.
>
> We haven't heard of this problem before, but after some investigation, I
> found this bug report:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2/+bug/19797
>
> Are you using Ubuntu? Which version? Unfortunately the Ubuntu folks
> seems to think that this is not a high priority bug...

Same problem on RHEL6,

this is due to anacrontab running cron.daily with "nice". cron.daily
runs logrotate which upon rotating logfiles does a condrestart on
vsm{agent|server} while running with the default niceness of 10.

Edit /etc/anacrontab and remove "nice" on cron.daily should fix it.

/Patrik Pira