[Thinlinc-technical] tlclient/vncviewer prevents screen locking on X11?

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Jan 19 11:31:13 CET 2015

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015, Torsten Kasch wrote:

>> Hi. Yes, this is the same type of problem. With ThinLinc, the corresponding
>> solution is to deactivate the setting "Send system keys" (Options -> Options).
>
> This does indeed allow the client's screensaver to lock the SunRay session, but
> unfortunately key sequences like <ALT><TAB> won't get passed to the ThinLinc
> session any more but are interpreted by the client's window manager instead. I
> realize this is the documented behavior, but it makes the workaround a
> not-so-ideal solution for us...

I understand. Unfortunately, as far as I understand, this is a limitation
in X11 and impossible to solve in a normal application. For example, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grab_override .

>> Also note that a window manager which supports "EWMH" is recommended. The
>> ThinLinc client supports that but also automatically falls back to
>> "override-redirect" for fullscreen mode otherwise.
>
> We're currently using XFCE for the ThinLinc session and a quite old KDE 3.5.10
> installation as the SunRays desktop. From what I've been able to find out so
> far, its kwin window manager should be complient to EWMH DRAFT 1.2, at least
> that document is bundled with the KDE source code.

Good. Note that in 1.3, _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS was added, which is
useful if you use multiple monitors and fullscreen.

Br,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		https://cendio.com