[Thinlinc-technical] tlclient/vncviewer prevents screen locking on X11?

Torsten Kasch tk at CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Fri Jan 16 11:14:52 CET 2015

Hi Peter,

On 15.01.2015 11:04, Peter Astrand wrote:

> Hi. Yes, this is the same type of problem. With ThinLinc, the corresponding
> solution is to deactivate the setting "Send system keys" (Options -> Options).

This does indeed allow the client's screensaver to lock the SunRay session, but
unfortunately key sequences like <ALT><TAB> won't get passed to the ThinLinc
session any more but are interpreted by the client's window manager instead. I
realize this is the documented behavior, but it makes the workaround a
not-so-ideal solution for us...

> Also note that a window manager which supports "EWMH" is recommended. The
> ThinLinc client supports that but also automatically falls back to
> "override-redirect" for fullscreen mode otherwise.

We're currently using XFCE for the ThinLinc session and a quite old KDE 3.5.10
installation as the SunRays desktop. From what I've been able to find out so
far, its kwin window manager should be complient to EWMH DRAFT 1.2, at least
that document is bundled with the KDE source code.

cheers,
	Torsten