[Thinlinc-technical] Cannot log in windows-desktop profile

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Wed Jan 7 14:50:26 CET 2015

> Hi again, I have a question.
>
> Does Windows Server need CALs?

Yes, this is how we interpret the Microsoft license agreement. If you use
a Windows server, you will need CALs regardless of if you use ThinLinc
and/or other similar products. But for a definite answer, you need to talk
to a Microsoft representative.

> If so, what is the difference to use between Remote Desktop application and Thin Linc?

If you are only interested in running Windows applications on a Windows
Remote Desktop server (now and forever...), a setup without ThinLinc is
sometimes the most cost effective solution. ThinLinc will give you a few
features though, such as SSH encryption, HTML5 client etc.

However, the ThinLinc product is most suited where you have an interest in
running at least some Linux/Unix applications or desktops, today or
tomorrow. At its core, the product is a Linux Remote Desktop Server with
great abilities to connect to other systems.

Best regards,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		https://cendio.com