[Thinlinc-technical] tlclient/vncviewer prevents screen locking on X11?

Torsten Kasch tk at CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Thu Jan 15 09:49:46 CET 2015

Hi,

while preparing our ThinLinc setup for production at our site, we've come across
the following issue: running the ThinLinc client (vncviewer) on a Linux client
seems to prevent the screensaver from locking the client's desktop.

This is somewhat problematic for our scenario because we will have to operate
our Solaris/x86 SunRay infrastructure for some time. Our SunRay users usually
rely on the screensaver automatically locking their desktop when temporarily
leaving the terminal. But if they use the tlclient (via ssh on a Linux system),
the ThinLinc session's screensaver will only lock the ThinLinc session after a
couple of minutes, but the original SunRay session remains unprotected since the
VNC session can be easily disconnected via the F8 menu, allowing unauthorized
access to the user's account.

While digging around I came across the following document:

https://support.realvnc.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/411/5/screensaver-is-not-activated-when-vnc-viewer-is-in-full-screen-mode-on-linux

I know it's a different product, but I suspect the reason for the screensaver
not being able to start is the same for TigerVNC? If this is true, I'd like to
know if it is possible to have the native Linux/X11 desktop's screensaver firing
up with a running ThinLinc client. Has anybody found a solution or workaround
for this issue?

cheers,
	Torsten