[Thinlinc-technical] Support for Ubuntu 14.10 in upcoming ThinLinc 4.3.0?

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Wed Oct 29 09:51:23 CET 2014

>> Do you see any major advantage with running 14.10 instead of 14.04?
>>   It's only supported for 9 months anyway - until July 2015. That's
>>   only 3 months after the planned ThinLinc 4.4 release. Compare
>>   this with 14.04 LTS, which is supported until April 2019.

> Well, we are a scientific organization requiring to work with the
>latest versions of applications in different scientific fields. As
>such we are switching mostly to all upcoming Ubuntu versions to work
>with the latest brand versions of applications, tools and even modern
>kernel versions. Keeping Ubuntu 14.04 LTS until 2019 (5 more years)
>is no option since it will put our competitors into a better
>situation. As such, always refraining to LTS variants of Ubuntu is no
>option for us because using the latest versions of applications is
>more important to us than not having to worry for a major update for
>5 years.

You don't need to wait 5 years. According to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS,
"A new LTS version is released every 2 years." Thus, 16.04 LTS is only 1.5
years away.

It's a bit unfortunate that you need to upgrade the entire operating
system and desktop in order to run the latest applications and tools, but
I agree with you; if you really need "the latest of the latest", there's
no perfect solution.

>So yes, we would really appreciate it if there would be hot fixes for
>ThinLInc 4.2.0 or 4.3.0 or at least some documentation on a webpage
>on how to patch the installation archives to install them also on
>intermediate versions between the LTS variants of Ubuntu.

We'll see what we can do. It's also possible that some of the problems are
Ubuntu bugs that will be fixed in future Ubuntu updates.

Regards,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://cendio.com