[Thinlinc-technical] IGEL IZ1 with 4.3 beta?

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Oct 27 16:20:45 CET 2014

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Torsten Kasch wrote:

>> As far as we know, it doesn't matter if you choose the HDX (Citrix) or RFX
>> (Microsoft) variant. The price seems to be the same. We have the RFX variant in
>> our lab.
>
> Sorry if this is drifting OT a little, but I've just learned from our sales rep
> that the IZ series terminals have a stripped-down firmware that requires a VDI
> infrastructure (either Microsoft RemoteFX or Citrix HDX) to operate at all.

It's true that the firmware is somewhat stripped-down. It's incorrect that
you'll need VDI - at least the RFX model works perfectly fine with
multiuser terminal servers as well.

As I understand it, "RFX" basically means that it comes with a RDP client
and "HDX" means that the Citrix client is installed. But you can still
install additional software via a "custom partition" - this is how to
install our ThinLinc Client. This allows you to connect to a ThinLinc
server with any kind of session profile, including Linux desktops.

In general, the ARM based terminals (including the IGEL IZ1) are
interesting alternatives, but before you buy any large volume of them,
make sure to compare the performance with other models. For example, the
IGEL IZ2 is about the same price as IZ1, but might give you a better
performance.

Br,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer