[Thinlinc-technical] tlclient on Linux: pulseaudio sink inputs not allowed to move to different sink?

Jens Maus j.maus at hzdr.de
Fri Jan 17 14:20:04 CET 2014

Hi,

I am replying to myself since we have found a workaround for the problem I was reported in here yesterday and it might be interested if someone is bumping into the same problem:

While moving the sink input generated by ThinLinc to another output sink seems not to be possible because it is flagged with DONT_MOVE, one can generate a NULL output sink and a loopback input sink an connect them. That means, you have to add the following lines to your /etc/pulse/default.pa file:

— cut here —
load-module module-stream-restore restore_device=false
load-module module-null-sink sink_name="stream"
load-module module-loopback source="stream.monitor" latency_msec=1
set-default-sink 0
— cut here —

If you setup your pulseaudio installation like that thinlinc will connect to sink 0 stream sink which can then freely be moved to any output sink of your system via the shell script listed in my first mail.

While this workaround seems to solve our problem and we can perfectly switch to any audio output destination during runtime, I am still curious to find out why the pulseaudio connection initiated by ThinLinc will end up having a DONT_MOVE flag while others (e.g. from xfreerdp) are freely movable per default. Perhaps ThinLinc could be changed to also allow moving the audio stream (not ending up with DONT_MOVE flag). This would then allow to also move audio output to another device at any time.

best regards,
jens