[Thinlinc-technical] Rendering OpenGl Applications via ThinLinc Terminal Servers

Avijit Ashe avijitashe at iiitb.ac.in
Tue Jan 28 04:43:08 CET 2014

Hello all,
I am trying to find out how to run a sample OpenGL code (written in C with freeglut) on the terminal server (that has all libraries installed), through my client (on another linux system, with no libraries installed). I simply want to run some code out of the server as the documentation of ThinLinc says it supports OpenGL.

Assuming that I've understood correctly what ThinLinc's documentation about supporting OpenGL means, how do I achieve it?

What I've done exactly: I've had a Linux system (lets say System1) installed with OpenGL dependencies like GLUT, freeglut and have written few sample code for like spinning a square with mouse clicks etc. These programs run well on my system.

Now: My task is to be able to achieve the same results using a client server model where the application runs on the server (System1 with everything installed) but can be viewed by a client (System2 without any support for running OpenGL code)

Next: I have configured my System 1 as the ThinLinc terminal server and my System 2 as the ThinLinc client. I am trying to run the code from my client (System 2) using the usual procedure;
       gcc spin.c -lglut
This line compiles it properly and there are no warnings or errors at all (just as it compiled when done on System 1)
       ./a.out
This must draw the window and display as in System 1 earlier but now gives "Segmentation fault" on my client (System 2)

I've attached the sample code along. Please ask if anything else is needed to figure out the problem. Am I thinking in the right direction? Any help shall be greatly appreciable. Thanks in advance.

warm regards,

Avijit Kumar Ashe
(Student and Researcher)