[Thinlinc-technical] FreeRDP: Keyboard layout detection

Rafael Ostertag rafael.ostertag at math.uzh.ch
Wed Feb 5 10:43:54 CET 2014

Hi list

We're running ThinLinc 4.1 on the clients and servers on top of Ubuntu
12.04. The clients use different keyboard layouts, e.g. Swiss German,
US, etc, which works fine so far.

However, we need to use FreeRDP 1.1 to connect to our Windows 2012 R2
RDS servers and the keyboard layout detection of FreeRDP is giving me
headaches:

By default, when launching FreeRDP on a ThinLinc Server, it tries to
detect the keyboard layout from the xkb file. In our case, this always
results in a US keyboard detection, even if the client uses a Swiss
keyboard, for instance. (Disabling the detection via xkb files at
compile time, results in the same behavior)

Changing the keyboard map in a ThinLinc session, let's say using
`setxkbmap', to match what the client is actually using, makes FreeRDP
pick up the proper keyboard map. So far, so good.

Now, the question is, is it possible to get FreeRDP work in a similar
way to rdesktop, which more or less "auto detects" the keyboard layout,
regardless of what the VNC Server thinks it is? If yes, how can that be
achieved?

Thanks for your time.

cheers
rafi

--
Rafael Ostertag, Technischer Assistent
Institut für Mathematik, Universität Zürich
Tel: ++41 (0)44 63-55866, rafael.ostertag at math.uzh.ch