[Thinlinc-technical] Need Explanation on Keyboard layout

Vincent Sourin sourin-v at bridgestone-bae.com
Mon Dec 22 13:34:43 CET 2014

Le 22/12/2014 09:25, Peter Astrand a écrit :

> Hi, see comments inline:
Hello Peter,
Thanks for your answers

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2014, Vincent Sourin wrote:
>
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  Can someone explain to me how work keyboard layouts in thinlinc
>>  environnement ?
>>  My goal is to be able to use FreeRDP inside a thinlinc session with a
>>  Belgian Keyboard layout.
>>
>>  1/ I connect to a xfce profile with Windows ThinLinc client (Windows
>> client
>>  is configured with 'Belgian' Layout).
>>
>>  Inside that Linux session, keyboard works well but I don't
>> understand that :
>> ~  $ setxkbmap -query
>>  rules:      evdev
>>  model:      pc105
>>  layout:     us
>
> There's one layout on our your client (Belgian), and another in the
> ThinLinc session (us). ThinLinc is based on VNC, which is
> "layoutless". The protocol is based on "keysyms" so in most cases
> (with well behaved applications) it is not necessary to configure a
> certain layout inside the ThinLinc session.

So maybe the solution is using keysyms in FreeRDP instead of keycodes. I
will investigate that way.

>>  Q : How can I have a functional 'Belgian' Layout with an 'US' Layout
>>  declared ?
>>
>>  If at this step, I launch a RDP connection with FreeRDP the remote
>> Windows
>>  recognized an US Layout (coherent with what setxkbmap -query returns)
>>  and I nearly get a functional Belgian layout except that I don't
>> have any
>>  accented characters working (FreeRDP throws "Unknown key with X keycode
>>  ...")
>
> Instead of using "setxkbmap", you can do:
>
> # tl-config /sessionstart/keyboard_layout=be

Running tl-config /sessionstart/keyboard_layout=be throws an error :
Failed to set parameter /sessionstart/keyboard_layout

>>  2/ Then I try to force BE layout inside Linux session :
>> ~  $ setxkbmap be
>>
>>  Inside the Linux session, keyboard still works perfectly (and I
>> still don't
>>  understand why because I changed the layout ?)
>>
>>  If I launch a RDP connection with FreeRDP : now the remote Windows
>>  recognized an BE Layout, I got all accented characters BUT
>>  I loose the ability to use AltGR key (and with that, access to level
>> 3 keys)
>
> Don't know why. What does "setxkbmap -query" return after you have
> executed "setxkbmap be" (or changed /sessionstart/keyboard_layout)?

After running "setxbmap be", setxkbmap -query returns :
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     be

Running 'xev' command with US layout give me that when pressing AltGr key :

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     root 0xec, subw 0x0, time 167858760, (80,84), root:(943,556),
     state 0x0, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     root 0xec, subw 0x0, time 167858763, (80,84), root:(943,556),
*  state 0x4, keycode 108 (keysym 0xffea, Alt_R), same_screen YES,*
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

Running 'xev' command with BE layout give me that when pressing AltGr key :

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     root 0xec, subw 0x0, time 168009101, (77,120), root:(940,592),
     state 0x0, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
     root 0xec, subw 0x0, time 168009101, (77,120), root:(940,592),
*state 0x4, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,*
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

> Br, ---
> Peter Astrand        ThinLinc Chief Developer
> Cendio AB        https://cendio.com
> Teknikringen 8        https://twitter.com/ThinLinc
> 583 30 Linkoping    https://facebook.com/ThinLinc
> Phone: +46-13-214600    https://google.com/+CendioThinLinc

Sourin Vincent - Systems Engineer
Bridgestone Aircraft Tire (Europe)
Route de Bavay - B7080 Frameries (Belgium)
Tel: +32 65 61 11 53 - Fax: +32 65 61 11 09
GSM : +32 492 97 44 99

---