[Thinlinc-technical] thinlinc on openindiana x86?

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Mon Oct 14 14:00:47 CEST 2013

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Johan Kragsterman wrote:

> The ORACLE Solaris platform is perhaps fading away, but the Illumos x86
> platform is gaining. I guess its now 10-15 distributions built on it,
> and several commercially successful businesses, like the Smartos Smart
> Datacenter, Nexenta, OmniOs, Delphix, among many others.
>
> Perhaps is it so, that Oracle feels competition on the x86 market, and
> put most of their effort more into Sparc.
>
> About the client: I don't think there would be any special interest for
> a client for Illumos, the interest is for the possibility to run the
> server environment in ZONES ON ZFS. This would give you soooo many
> possibilities....
>
> I understand that there are efforts in building, and perhaps more in
> maintaining support for a platform. Are there anything the community can
> do to help you with this?

I'd say that decision input is most helpful right now. That is, getting
feedback on which additional platform(s) we should support, and what you
would feel about dropping old platforms, such as Solaris 10.

Another thing would be to test if the existing ThinLinc server and client
for SPARC works on Illumos SPARC.

Regards,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer